At Burford we are committed to the delivery of excellence in the teaching of Phonics. We aim to develop each child so that they can read with fluency as well as develop a love of reading that will stay with our children all their lives.
In Foundation and KS1 we use the Oxford Reading Tree’s ‘Floppy’s Phonics’ Sounds and Letters systematic synthetic phonics programme. This is a step-by-step phonics programme which introduces children to the letters and sounds (the alphabetic code) that form the foundation of all reading and writing. It gives:
- Well-structured, carefully paced lessons that follow a clear teaching sequence
- The well-loved Biff, Chip, Kipper and Floppy characters, who bring phonics to life through engaging print and online resources
- Fully decodable books which offer children reading practice that is matched to their phonic knowledge
- New Activity Books which offer comprehensive written practice to build children’s confidence and provide a record of progress
- New Floppy's Phonics Online which provides an essential resource for practising and consolidating the sounds learnt in class