The 8 Steps to Healthy Eating
What you eat can make a big difference to your mental health and wellbeing. A healthy diet rich in fruit, vegetables, wholegrains, seeds and unsaturated fats helps improve your physical and mental health.
Here are 8 steps to help you eat healthily:
1. Plan ahead - Plan and shop for meals ahead of time. Make extra meals to store and freeze in portions.
2. Eat regular meals - Eat 3 balanced meals a day to keep your energy levels steady.
3. Start the day right - Start your day with porridge, wholegrain bread or cereal, dairy and fruit. These foods provide essential nutrients for your brain.
4. Use the food pyramid - Use the food pyramid to help you plan healthier meals. Aim to include at least 5 to 7 portions of fruit and vegetables a day.
5. Eat the right fats - There are 2 types of fat, saturated fats and unsaturated fats. Your brain needs unsaturated fats to keep working well. Foods that contain omega-3 fats are essential fats, which means they are needed for human health such as oily fish, nuts and seeds.
6. Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables - Fruit and vegetables are a great source of vitamins, minerals and fibre. Choose a wide variety of fruit and vegetables of different colours to get the best mix of nutrients.
7. Choose the right drinks - Dehydration can cause poor memory and tiredness. A sensible fluid intake is around 6 to 8 cups of water each day.
8. Keep a diary - Write down what you eat and make notes about how you're feeling in the following hours and days. Over time, you might work out how particular foods make you feel and the impact they have on your physical and mental health.